Day Four of the Harrows DPA Pro Tour

Day Four of the Harrows DPA Pro Tour Dubbo events saw the competition move back to a round robin format at the ALH Macquarie Inn. The final eight had a couple of surprise entrants but the first should not have come as a shock to those who have followed the challenge tour. Josh Townsend has been making his mark in that tournament not too far away from Dubbo in Young and he defeated Michael Cassar and James Bailey to make the top eight. In that quarter final he played Ryan Lynch, who had played so well through the week. Townsend got through in another deciding leg after being down four legs to two.
Dale Burton-Pye caused a huge upset by knocking out Damon Heta in the round of 16 (having already seen off Greg Major) by five legs to three. In the quarter finals he met Haupai Puha but unlike Townsend this was one step too far as the Kiwi won 5-1.
In the other quarter finals Koha Kokiri and Steve Fitzpatrick repeated the final of the night before with a similar result. Fitzpatrick won the first game but then Kokiri, of team Kiwi (DPA and DPNZ), rattled off four straight games and the gap was too great for his opponent to close and Kokiri went through to the semi finals, winning five legs to three. In the other semi final Mick Lacey, who had enjoyed so much success in Tasmania, defeated Brendon McCausland 5-2, both players having left their most success in Dubbo to the final event of the week.
The first semi final saw Puha take a strong early lead over Townsend of 3-0. He broke Townsend in the second leg and in the third, with Townsend needing 48, he hit Shanghai to hold throw. Townsend held his throw in the fourth leg, and Puha did the same in the fifth to move a leg away from the match. In what would be the final leg Puha missed the bull for a 164 check out but Townsend was unable to convert 68 and Puha put the 25 away for a 5-1 win.
The second semi final saw Lacey go to an early two leg lead before Kokiri did what he had in his previous match, and win four games in succession. He broke Lacey in the fourth and sixth leg to go 4-2 up only to have Lacey break him for the second time in the match (after doing so previously in leg one) in the seventh leg. However, with Lacey needing 32, Kokiri was able to put 48 away to make his second final in succession.
The Final was a tight affair although early it looked like Puha could run away with it. The first leg saw Kokiri miss has chance to hold throw and Puha pounced on his next visit to take an early lead. He consolidated this in the second leg thanks to a 16 dart leg and two successive visits scoring 130 or over. A tight leg three saw Kokiri hold throw before he took the break back from his team Kiwi (DPA and DPNZ) colleague. 15 darts from Kokiri was enough in leg five to take the lead for the first time (he converted 83 with his opponent needing just 41 so the pressure was ever present.) Puha then demonstrated his class with a 12 dart leg where he averaged 125.3 across the leg, including a 140 finish.
At 3-3 something had to give and it was Kokiri as Puha followed up leg six with another confident throwing display and broke his opponent once more. He then held throw in 15 darts to take a two leg lead. Kokiri held his nerve in the next leg to reduce the deficit to one leg but it left him needing to break Puha in the next leg to take the match to a decider. Both players opened with 81 visits but a 140 turn on the oche for Puha gave him the impetus in the leg and he checked out the required 40 to win the match and event 18 of the Harrows DPA Pro Tour.